You don’t have to give up pizza on a low-carb diet. You can even spice it up with this Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Pizza recipe that uses a Fathead dough and incredibly flavorful toppings.
Buffalo chicken is one of my favorite things to eat. We make all kinds of things, like these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers, Buffalo Stuffed Chicken and Buffalo Chicken Wings with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Not only is it very low in carbs, it’s so flavorful.
If you like Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, you’re going to love this pizza. The sauce is mixed with juicy chicken thigh meat (you can also use breast, if you prefer). For pizza sauce, we use a low-carb blue cheese sauce. Then pile it up with chicken, and top with mozzarella cheese and onions.
It’s so tasty! Once it’s cooked and served, you’d be hard pressed to know that it’s low-carb. The flavors and the textures are all spot on.
What is Fathead Dough?
The original recipe is a bit of an unknown, but it was made popular in the Fathead movie, a 2009 documentary that aimed to debunk the myth about the connection of a high fat diet, increased cholesterol, and heart disease.
That myth has since been successfully refuted, and you shouldn’t be worried about eating this pizza dough. It comes out so close to regular flour pizza dough that you’ll be shocked.
The dough has a noticeably different texture from regular pizza dough, but if you didn’t know what you were eating, you likely wouldn’t even question if it was low-carb. The chewy, crispy, bread-like texture is pretty darn close to the real thing.
Whatever allows us to happily continue to eat pizza on a low-carb diet is good with me.
How to Make Fathead Pizza Crust
The more popular way to make this low-carb dough is to melt the cheese and form an actual dough.
Here are the steps to follow for this version:
- Melt the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese together in a bowl. You can do this easily in the microwave. Stir it together before starting. Cream cheese has a way of exploding in the microwave when it’s on its own. Microwave for a total of 90 seconds, in 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Add the flour, egg and baking powder. Stir it all together. Then knead it either by hand or in a food processor or stand mixer with the dough paddle. It takes about 3 minutes of kneading by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Roll out the dough and put it on a baking sheet with a parchment paper lining. Do not use tin foil. It will stick.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake the crust for 8 minutes, or until dough becomes slightly golden on top. Then remove it from the oven.
Meanwhile, in a mix the chopped chicken thigh meat with Frank’s red hot sauce and butter in a pot over medium heat. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to heat through.
Mix the blue cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl until smooth.
Spread the blue cheese sauce evenly on the dough. Top with the chicken, onion and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 8 minutes, or until bubbly on top. Garnish with avocado and serve.
More Recipes from Delightfully Low Carb
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Pizza
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 160g
- 2 tbsp cream cheese 30ml
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 cup almond flour 85g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder 2.5ml
For the pizza toppings
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and roughly chopped 225g
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce 60ml
- 1/2 tbsp butter 8ml
- 1 oz blue cheese 28g
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise 30ml
- 2 slices red onion, halved and broken apart
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 55ml
- 1/2 avocado, chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese together in a bowl. Stir to incorporate. Microwave for a total of 90 seconds, stopping every 30 seconds to stir.
- Roll out the dough as thick or thin as you like. Put it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Poke the dough 5-6 times with a fork or knife so bubbles don’t form in the dough.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until dough becomes slightly golden on top. Remove it from the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a mix the chopped chicken thigh meat with Frank’s red hot sauce and butter in a pot over medium heat. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to heat through.
- Mix the blue cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl until smooth.
- Spread the blue cheese sauce evenly on the dough. Top with the chicken, onion and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 8 minutes, or until bubbly on top. Garnish with avocado and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.