These Mediterranean Chicken Skewers are a simple and delicious way to enjoy flavorful grilled chicken kebabs that are low carb and keto friendly.
If you love the spices, citrus and olive oil that are found in Mediterranean cooking, you’re going to flip for these chicken skewers. They are marinated with lemon, garlic, and paprika that really enhances the dish.
These chicken skewers are perfect for the grill, if you’re cooking outdoors. They can be put on the grill next to the burgers and corn to add some extra spice to your meal. But they can also be cooked on the stove top, so no worries if you haven’t fired up the barbecue.
How to Make Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
The most time consuming part of this dish is marinating the chicken. You really can’t skip this step though, so be sure to plan ahead.
It doesn’t require much. Just mix the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and all the spices in a bowl. Reserve 2 tbsp of the marinade to use as a basting sauce for later. Then add the cubed chicken to the bowl and stir.
Cover it and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or – even better – overnight. If you marinate it for a day, the flavors will really have time to transform. It’s worth it.
A tip about skewers. If you’re using wooden ones, be sure to soak them in advance if you’re grilling on an open flame. The wooden skewer can catch on fire or become super brittle and break while cooking. Soaking them for about 15 minutes before use prevents that.
Thread the chicken onto the skewers. You can pack them on, no need to leave spaces between. However, don’t load it with too much chicken. Keep proper portion sizes in mind.
I don’t usually add onions or peppers to my skewers, but that’s an option if you want. The veggies tend to cook at the same rate as the chicken, so it’s fine to thread them on together.
Cook the skewers on the grill at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes per side. Baste them on both sides with the reserved marinade for extra flavor.
If you’re cooking them on the stove top, it will take about 5 minutes per side on medium-high heat.
What to Serve With Chicken Kebabs
Salads go really well with these Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs. Try this Strawberry Spinach Salad or this Parmesan Roasted Asparagus. A great low-carb alternative that goes with everything is simple Cauliflower Rice. We also have a great list of side dishes to try.
More Recipes from Delightfully Low Carb
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Low Carb Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Tzatziki sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Reserve 2 tbsp of the mixture for later.
- Add the chicken cubes to the bowl and stir until coated. Marinate for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Thread chicken onto skewers. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes, then turn over. Baste both sides with the reserved marinade.
- Remove once chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 F, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce.
- You can make your own tzatziki sauce with greek yogurt, chopped cucumbers, garlic, dill, salt, and olive oil.