Parmesan roasted asparagus makes the perfect low-carb side dish to go with any protein main dish.
I have a bit of an obsession with roasting vegetables. Roasting brings out the natural sugars in a veggie, plus adds that special charred flavor that, combined with Parmesan cheese, is especially tasty.
When the asparagus is done, remove it from the oven and sprinkle the Parmesan directly over it. I like to use a micro-planer for this because the light dusting of cheese melts best.
Carbs in Asparagus
Asparagus is actually one of the best vegetables for a low-carb diet because it’s very low in carbs – in fact, one of the lowest in any veggie.
There are just 1.7 net grams of carbs in 100 grams of asparagus (about 5 spears). So you can feel free to add it to any meal.
What to Serve Asparagus With
There’s no protein that asparagus doesn’t go well with. I serve it with chicken, steak, pork chops and fish.
Here are a few ideas of dishes to serve alongside this side dish:
Like this recipe? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- 1 1/2 lb fresh asparagus ends cut off
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Cut the hard ends off the asparagus, then wash and pat dry. Place the spears in a row on the baking sheet, without stacking them. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll the spears to coat all sides.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Cook for 6-7 minutes, then roll the spears and continue cooking for another 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly on top of the asparagus. Return to the oven for 2 additional minutes. Serve while hot.
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.