Parmesan roasted asparagus makes the perfect low-carb side dish to go with your main dish and it could not be simpler to make in the oven in less than 15 minutes.
I have a bit of an obsession with roasting vegetables. Roasting brings out the natural sugars in a veggie, plus adds that special charred flavor that, combined with Parmesan cheese, is especially tasty. I do this with broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts too.
Asparagus is no different. When roasted, it has a sweet, nutty flavor that’s perfect paired with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, some salt and pepper. You really can’t get any easier than that.
Are There Carbs in Asparagus?
Asparagus is actually one of the best vegetables for a low-carb diet because it’s very low in carbs – in fact, one of the lowest of any veggie.
There are just 1.7 net grams of carbs in 100 grams of asparagus (about 5 spears). So you can feel free to add it to any meal or just eat it for a snack. Since it’s really good when eaten cold, you can roast some spears to keep in the fridge for when you get the munchies.
Did you know you could freeze asparagus? Freezing asparagus is one of the best ways to preserve it for later, when it’s no longer in season. And since the asparagus season is fairly short, it’s a great way to enjoy this vegetable even longer.
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Asparagus
There are just 4 simple ingredients in this veggie side dish.
- Fresh asparagus – The fatter pieces of asparagus are better for roasting, if you have a choice. Be sure to cut the hard ends off before roasting.
- Olive oil – Use a high-quality olive oil because it’s more for taste in this recipe than for cooking. If you don’t have olive oil, the next best thing is butter.
- Parmesan cheese – I also suggest a high-quality Parmesan cheese – preferable in a block that you can grate freshly over the asparagus. It has the best flavor.
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Cook Asparagus
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Cut the hard ends off the asparagus, then wash them and pat them dry. Place the spears in a row on the baking sheet, without stacking them. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll the spears around to coat all sides with the olive oil and seasonings.
Place the baking sheet in the oven. Cook for 6-7 minutes, then roll the spears over and continue cooking for another 6-7 minutes. If you have thinner asparagus, they likely won’t take this long. Check them at 4 minutes and if they look as though they’re starting to shrivel slightly, turn them and cut the remaining cook time to 4 minutes.
When the asparagus is done, remove it from the oven and sprinkle the Parmesan directly over it. I like to use a micro-planer for this because the light dusting of cheese melts best.
What to Serve Roasted Asparagus With
There’s no protein that asparagus doesn’t go well with. I serve it with chicken, steak, pork chops and fish.
Here are a few of our favorites:
»You should also check out these 16 Keto Low-Carb BBQ Sides & Salads.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if the asparagus is fresh?
You want to look for bunches that are a rich green color. The stalks should be firm and crisp and the ends should be tight. When asparagus is old you will notice that the tip is mushy to the touch.
How do I trim asparagus so it isn’t woody at the end?
Asparagus can be woody and stringy at the base end. There is a simple way to trim them to avoid this unpleasant texture. If you bend a piece of asparagus it will naturally break where the tough part ends. You can also try to cut into it with a knife. The tough parts won’t cut as easily. Just keep cutting bits off until your knife goes in easily, you know you got all of the woody tough part off.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus ends cut off
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Cut the hard ends off the asparagus, then wash and pat dry. Place the spears in a row on the baking sheet, without stacking them. Drizzle on the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll the spears to coat all sides.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Cook for 6-7 minutes, then roll the spears and continue cooking for another 6-7 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly on top of the asparagus. Return to the oven for 2 additional minutes. Serve while hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Side Dish Recipes To Try
Click for Even More Side Dish Recipes
Read More About a Low-Carb Lifestyle
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.