This Keto Tuscan Chicken is a delicious dish packed with chicken, garlic, spinach, and cherry tomatoes in a buttery, creamy sauce. It’s low in carbs and perfect for a keto diet.
Eating low carb can get a little bland if you don’t stretch out and find new and creative dishes that have a lot of flavor. That’s where this Tuscan Chicken comes in. These ingredients are very low in carbs, but pack a ton of flavor.
It’s not a difficult dish to make, but it tastes very decadent and rich. Eating dishes like this you wouldn’t even know you were dieting or cutting carbs.
It’s just a tasty meal. Is it actually Tuscan? No, let’s be honest. This is a very Americanized Italian-wannabe dish. But it uses Mediterranean flavors and we all know that a Mediterranean diet is good for you.
If you can, try to buy free-range chicken. It’s healthier and more sustainable.
🐟 FarmFoods is one of our favorite places to get high-quality meat and poultry online.
Get 10% OFF on orders of $100 or more with PECS10! 🥩
Ingredients You Need
- Chicken – For this recipe, you will need chicken filets, which is just a thinly cut breast. You can cut a chicken breast down the middle to create thinner pieces that will cook faster.
- Olive oil – Adds additional healthy fats and it’s needed to cook the chicken. Avocado or coconut oil can be used as an alternative.
- Butter – I always cook with salted butter for extra flavor.
- Cherry tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes add a nice sweet acidity to this dish. Usually Tuscan chicken would be made with sun-dried tomatoes, but we replace them with cherry tomatoes because of the carb count.
- Garlic – Garlic brings in an intense savory flavor to this dish.
- Chicken broth – You can use vegetable broth, if you want. Just make sure it is low in sodium.
- Heavy cream – The richness and creaminess of this dish come from heavy cream. You can also use half and half.
- Parmesan – Parmesan adds thickness to the creamy sauce. Use freshly grated Parmesan, if possible.
- Baby spinach leaves – Baby spinach leaves are loaded with minerals and nutrients.
- Parsley – If you don’t have parsley, add cilantro instead.
- Red pepper flakes – Add a bit of spiciness to the dish. You can adjust the quantity according to your liking.
- Seasoning – Salt and black pepper are perfect to season the dish.
How to Make Garlic Tuscan Chicken
Making creamy garlic Tuscan chicken is very easy. Here is what you have to do:
Step 1: First of all, pat the chicken fillets dry using paper towels. Season each fillet generously with salt and black pepper.
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a pan. Once it is hot, place the chicken in the pan and cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side. Cooking time really depends on the thickness of the chicken. If yours was cut thicker, you might need a minute longer. Use a meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken reaches 165 degrees F in the center.
Once it’s done, take the chicken out of the pan and put them off to the side on a plate. You’ll bring them back to the pan later, after the sauce is made.
Step 3: Melt butter in the pan. Add the onion and cherry tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. You don’t want to leave the garlic in the pan too long before pouring in the liquid because it can burn quickly and become very bitter.
Step 4: Pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Whisk any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add in the spinach. Cook for 10-15 minutes. The spinach will wilt and the sauce will become bubbly and slightly thickened. Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk again to combine.
Step 5: Return the chicken to the pan. Spoon sauce over the chicken so that it gets coated in the sauce, then let it cook for a minute or two to reheat the chicken. Serve with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes as a garnish.
How to Serve This Dish
Since this is a low carb meal, we don’t want to serve it over pasta, like you normally would. Instead, it can actually just be served on its own. Just serve a piece of chicken with sauce spooned over the top, alongside a salad or some steamed broccoli.
If you want to, you can serve it over shirataki noodles or with cauliflower rice. I personally really enjoy this dish on its own.
How To Store Leftover Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Allow the Tuscan chicken to cool down to room temperature before storing.
- Use an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag for food storage to keep the chicken moist and prevent it from absorbing odors from the refrigerator.
- If you’re not planning to consume the leftovers within a day or two, label the container with the date of preparation. This helps you keep track of how long it’s been stored.
- Place the airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftover keto Tuscan chicken can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How To Reheat Keto Tuscan Chicken
For best results, reheat the Tuscan chicken on the stovetop. This allows for more even heating and helps preserve the texture.
- Place the chicken in a non-stick skillet or saucepan. If the sauce has thickened, add a small amount of chicken broth or cream to help rehydrate it.
- Heat over low to medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Cook until the chicken reaches the desired temperature.
How Many Carbs Are in This Keto Tuscan Chicken?
One serving of this keto Tuscan chicken contains 5 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. That leads to 4 net grams of carbs in one serving. It’s such a great low carb dinner.
If you want to add a bit more to the dish and you don’t mind adding a few more carbs, you can serve it over cauliflower rice or regular rice.
Expert Tips for the Best Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Buy quality chicken. This is the absolute biggest thing you can do to ensure this dish is delicious.
- You may be tempted to clean out the pan after cooking the chicken, but don’t! Leave the juices from the chicken in the pan and just go on with the making of the sauce. This will give a lot of robust flavors to the sauce.
- Be careful not to overcook the chicken, so it doesn’t become dry.
Additions & Alternatives
If you want to change this recipe up a little bit, you can make a few adjustments or additions:
- Use kale instead of spinach
- Add fresh basil
- Use salmon, cod, or pork chops instead of chicken
- Serve the sauce over steamed veggies
- Serve with cauliflower rice, shirataki noodles, or palmini noodles
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tuscan chicken sauce made of?
Tuscan chicken sauce is a rich and flavorful sauce made with heavy cream, garlic, chicken broth, parmesan cheese, cherry tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper, butter, and olive oil. Remember that there can be many variations of Tuscan chicken sauce, and different recipes may include additional or slightly different ingredients to suit individual preferences.
What cuts of chicken are best for keto?
For the keto diet, prioritize leaner cuts of chicken such as boneless skinless chicken breasts, boneless skinless chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks and thighs with skin, chicken wings, whole chicken, chicken liver, chicken tenders, and strips.
What pairs well with Tuscan chicken?
Any vegetable side dish pairs well with Tuscan chicken, such as wilted spinach, garlic mushrooms, roasted cauliflower, or even a crisp side salad.
Why is it called Tuscan chicken?
Can I use frozen chicken in this dish?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken, but it’s best to allow the chicken breasts to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before using them in the dish. If you do cook the chicken from frozen, you will need to allow it to cook much longer than stated in the recipe. Always use a meat thermometer to determine when the chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees F.
What Our Readers Are Saying
AMAZING. New favorite dish in the house! Added a little more garlic (because why not!) chefs kiss!
Fantastic flavor, restaurant quality. Will be a favorite
What to Serve With This Dish?
If you’re looking for a great side dish to serve alongside this main dish, why not try one of these recipes below. They will compliment this main dish very well and are all low in carbs so you can make a great keto or low-carb meal to enjoy.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Keto Tuscan Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts halved
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. When hot add the chicken to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Melt butter in the pan. Add onion and cherry tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and cream. Whisk any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the spinach. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until bubbly and slightly thickened. Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk again to combine.
- Return chicken to the pan. Spoon sauce over the chicken to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes, until chicken is warmed. Serve with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes as garnish.
- Serve alongside cauliflower rice or steamed broccoli, or with low-carb noodles.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Chicken Recipes To Try
Click for Even More Chicken Recipes
Pin this recipe for later!
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.