Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower is a fantastic side dish that is low in carbs and big on flavor. It’s a delicious way to dress up your cauliflower.
If you’re on a low-carb diet, you likely eat a lot of cauliflower. I know I do! I’m always looking for new ways to jazz it up so I’m not eating the same thing over and over. This side dish is a great way to do that.
You’ll especially like this if you’re a garlic lover. The garlic adds a punch of spice to the cauliflower, and the sautéed mushrooms add a rich umami kick. Read here for how many carbs are in garlic and other interesting facts.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive oil – I wouldn’t suggest substituting it for another oil. Besides the flavor it lends to the food it has a high smoking point. It is great for sautéing when mixed with butter.
- Butter – The butter adds a nice richness and is good for sautéing foods.
- Onion – I use a small white or yellow onion, chopped
- Mushrooms – The type of mushroom is up to you. We use white mushrooms or cremini (baby bella) mushrooms.
- Cauliflower – You’ll need half a head of cauliflower. Make sure to cut the florets into bite-sized pieces. It’s good if they’re about the same size so they all cook the same.
- Garlic – The garlic adds a punch of spice to the cauliflower, and the sautéed mushrooms add a rich umami kick. Freshly cut cloves are best, but chopped garlic from the store will also work.
- Parsley Fresh parsley will add a freshness and herbaceous flavor. If you don’t like parsley, you can use cilantro.
- Red pepper flakes – Add as many red pepper flakes as you like, as it brings the heat. If you don’t want it to be spicy, leave the red pepper out.
How to Make Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower
Add the olive oil and half the butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully so the onions don’t burn.
You want the mushrooms to get nice and browned. That’s where all the flavor comes from.
Next, add the cauliflower and the water. As the water evaporates, the cauliflower will steam cook. Cook it until the cauliflower is tender and browned, about 12-15 minutes. If the water cooks away too quickly, turn down the heat.
Add the remaining butter, garlic and parsley to the skillet and stir. Cook until the butter is melted. It should be on a low heat, so the garlic doesn’t burn.
Serve immediately. The longer the dish sits before serving, the more cooked the cauliflower will become and it can get soggy quickly.
Extra Tips for Making Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower
- Cut the cauliflower florets into a uniform size that are about the same size as your mushrooms, so they cook evenly and aren’t too large to eat.
- I don’t like parsley, so I replace it with chopped cilantro or fresh thyme.
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping them off with a paper towel. Washing them adds extra water that will have to cook off, which will take longer to brown the mushrooms.
- You can make this dish vegan by replacing the butter with olive oil.
- Take your time sautéing the mushrooms and onions. This will add tons of flavor and great texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are mushrooms ok to eat on a keto diet?
Yes, mushrooms are one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat on a keto or low carb diet. They are low in calories, carbs and fat.
How many carbs are in garlic?
Garlic adds a lot of flavor and uniqueness to food, so you’ll find it in dozens of the recipes you’re likely going to make at home. There is one gram of carbs in an average-sized garlic clove. The net carb count in a raw garlic clove is 0.9 grams, since there is 0.1 grams of fiber in a clove, as well.
More Recipes from Delightfully Low Carb
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
One-Pot Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms about 20 small mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cauliflower head cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced
- Red pepper flakes optional
- Add the olive oil and half the butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully so the onions don’t burn.
- Add the cauliflower and water. Cook until the cauliflower is tender and browned, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, garlic and parsley to the skillet and stir. Cook until the butter is melted.
- Serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Easy Keto Greek Salad Recipe
- Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- BBQ Grilled Cauliflower Skewers
Click for Even More Side Dish Recipes
Read More About a Low-Carb Lifestyle
Pin it for later
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.