Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower is a fantastic side dish that is low in carbs and big on flavor. It’s a delicious way to dress up your cauliflower.
» Click for more ways to dress up cauliflower.
If you’re on a low-carb diet, you likely eat a lot of cauliflower. I know I do! I’m always looking for new ways to jazz it up so I’m not eating the same thing over and over. This side dish is a great way to do that.
You’ll especially like this if you’re a garlic lover. The garlic adds a punch of spice to the cauliflower, and the sautéed mushrooms add a rich umami kick.
How to Make Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower
Add the olive oil and half the butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully so the onions don’t burn.
You want the mushrooms to get nice and browned. That’s where all the flavor comes from.
Next, add the cauliflower and the water. As the water evaporates, the cauliflower will steam cook. Cook it until the cauliflower is tender and browned, about 12-15 minutes. If the water cooks away too quickly, turn down the heat.
Add the remaining butter, garlic and parsley to the skillet and stir. Cook until the butter is melted. It should be on a low heat, so the garlic doesn’t burn.
Serve immediately. The longer the dish sits before serving, the more cooked the cauliflower will become and it can get soggy quickly.
Extra Tips for Making Garlic Mushrooms & Cauliflower
- Cut the cauliflower florets into a uniform size that are about the same size as your mushrooms, so they cook evenly and aren’t too large to eat.
- I don’t like parsley, so I replace it with chopped cilantro or fresh thyme.
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping them off with a paper towel. Washing them adds extra water that will have to cook off, which will take longer to brown the mushrooms.
- You can make this dish vegan by replacing the butter with olive oil.
More Recipes from Delightfully Low Carb
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms about 20 small mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cauliflower head cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp parsley minced
- Red pepper flakes optional
- Add the olive oil and half the butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully so the onions don’t burn.
- Add the cauliflower and water. Cook until the cauliflower is tender and browned, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter, garlic and parsley to the skillet and stir. Cook until the butter is melted.
- Serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.