This simple Lemon Garlic Shrimp recipe makes a versatile main course that goes from refrigerator to dinner table in less than 15 minutes. With a light garlic and cumin sauce, it’s irresistible.
Shrimp is one of the easiest proteins to cook and it makes a really great lunch or dinner main dish. Sautéing shrimp with garlic, cumin, and lemon gives it a huge punch of flavor that makes it so delicious, you’ll be licking your fingers.
Making a healthy and satisfying meal on a weeknight doesn’t have to be exhausting. You don’t need to spend a lot of time chopping and dicing and braising. That’s the joy of this recipe. It will be on the table in no time.
To make this recipe as easy as possible, you’ll want to be pick up already peeled and deveined shrimp. I prefer to have no tails left on. It does make the dish prettier to leave the tails on, but it’s a pain to eat.
The best size for this recipe are jumbo shrimp 10/15 ct. These are large shrimp, that are very filling. Smaller sized shrimp are fine to use as well, but they won’t look as significant on the plate and they aren’t as “meaty”. It’s up to you.
Ingredients in Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Aside from the shrimp, there’s just three other fresh ingredients and 2 seasonings. Super simple!
- Jumbo shrimp – 10/15 ct., peeled, deveined, and tail removed, if possible. You can use any shrimp you have for this recipe, so if you don’t have larger shrimp on hand, don’t worry. It will still be delicious.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is best, but if you only have salted, you’ll want to taste the final product before adding any additional salt.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is a must in this recipe. Don’t skip it!
- Cumin – I love the addition of cumin in this recipe. It just adds an additional spark of flavor and aroma that’s so good. The cumin is optional, however. The dish is great without it too.
- Lemon zest and juice – You’ll use the juice of one lemon, as well as much of the zest from the peel.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley – chopped fresh parsley added at the end for a little herbaceousness.
How to Cook Lemon Garlic Shrimp
The key to cooking shrimp is to set the skillet over medium heat and watch them closely because shrimp cooks really quickly. A higher temperature, or too much time on the pan, will produce a rubbery texture.
Heat a pan over medium heat and put in the butter to melt. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp, they’ll only take about 2-3 minutes per side to turn from opaque to pink. That’s when you’ll know they’re ready.
Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and ground cumin to the skillet and stir to combine thoroughly. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and remove from the heat.
Serve shrimp on their own, over cauliflower rice, or alongside grilled cauliflower skewers or on top of keto cole slaw. Drizzle some pan juices over each serving. You don’t want to discard that sauce. It’s amazing.
These shrimp pair well with a side garden salad. If you like the addition of rice, try making your own mashed cauliflower. Another side we really like eating these with is grilled bok choy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen shrimp?
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp for this recipe. You don’t have to defrost before cooking, however it will add some extra water to the pan and will take a little bit longer to cook through.
What kind of shrimp should I use?
Wild-caught shrimp is the always the way to go with shrimp. Skip the farmed stuff. You’ll also find that this recipe is best when you use large shrimp (10/15 size) or prawns – not the smaller shrimp.
How do I know when the shrimp is done?
Shrimp cook pretty quickly. You want to make sure you have all of your ingredients within arms reach because once they hit the pan the cooking time is quick. Watch for the shrimp to firm up and turn from translucent to an opaque pinkish color.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound Jumbo shrimp 10/15 ct., peeled, deveined, and tail removed
- 1 large lemon zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp to skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until shrimp starts to turn pink.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and ground cumin to the skillet and stir to combine thoroughly. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and remove from heat.
- Serve shrimp on their own, over cauliflower rice, or alongside a salad or veggies. Drizzle some pan juices over each serving and garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Low-Carb/Keto Shrimp Recipes To Try
Click for Even More Shrimp Recipes
Read More About a Low-Carb Lifestyle
Like it? Pin it on Pinterest!
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.