This Mexican Street Style Cauliflower is slathered with spicy mayo, cotija cheese and cilantro just like our favorite Mexican Street Corn, but without the carbs.
Mexican Street Corn (Elote) is one of my favorite things to eat. We would eat it as a side dish regularly, but when I went on a low-carb diet and never stopped, I needed to have an alternative for my favorite side dish. Enter “Mexican Street Style Cauliflower”.
Cauliflower is the perfect substitution for higher carb corn. It has way less carbs, which is why we love cauliflower so much when on a low-carb diet. It’s so versatile. See these recipes: Loaded Cauliflower Casserole, Keto Mashed Cauliflower, Air Fryer Cauliflower and Grilled Cauliflower Skewers.
Each serving of this dish contains 5 grams of net carbs.
In this dish, roasted cauliflower is topped with all the same flavors I love about Mexican street corn, and it makes a really great side dish for dishes like chicken fajitas that you might be serving as a main dish.
What is Mexican Street Corn?
Mexican street corn, also known as elote, is a popular Mexican street food that is made by grilling or roasting ears of fresh corn and then slathering them with a mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder, lime juice, and crumbled cotija cheese.
The corn is typically served on a stick or in a cup, and can be eaten hot or cold. It is a delicious and flavorful snack that is often sold by street vendors in Mexico and has become popular in many other parts of the world as well.
We use the same ingredients for our cauliflower, only we use roasted cauliflower florets instead of corn on the cob.
Ingredients You Need
So to make this dish, you will need:
- Cauliflower – Buy a whole head and cut bite-sized florets, or go the easy route and buy pre-chopped cauliflower. Frozen cauliflower will also work.
- Mayonnaise – I always use full-fat mayo for the best flavor and texture
- Sriracha – If you don’t like spicy, you can leave out the sriracha.
- Cotija cheese (or crumbled feta cheese) – Cotija is a type of Mexican cheese that is named after the town of Cotija in the state of Michoacán, Mexico. It is a crumbly, salty, and tangy cheese that is made from cow’s milk and aged for several months.
- Paprika – You can also use chili powder, which gives you the ability to regulate the spiciness, from hot to mild.
- Lime wedges
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Mexican Street Style Cauliflower
Start by cutting a head of cauliflower into florets. They should be bite-sized, so don’t cut them larger than you’d eat in one bite.
Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet with a silicon mat. Season them with salt and pepper. Add a little olive oil, if you want. Roast the cauliflower florets on 400° F for 25 minutes, turning once in the middle to get an even roast.
Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise with sriracha to form a spicy mayo. I mix my spicy mayonnaise in a squeeze bottle so it’s easier to add to the dish. This sauce can be made a day or two in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you need it. You can also just spoon it on.
When the cauliflower is done, transfer it to a bowl. Add half the spicy mayo and toss to coat. Then transfer the cauliflower to a serving plate.
Top the cauliflower with the remaining spicy mayo from the squeeze bottle. Sprinkle the crumbled cheese over the top. Then sprinkle on the paprika and chopped cilantro. Finally, spritz it with some fresh lime juice.
What to Serve With Mexican Street Style Cauliflower
If you want to serve it as a side dish, you could pair it with roast chicken, pork chops, or this delicious pulled pork. We also like to serve this with baby back ribs. All of these dishes are keto-friendly and low carb.
How Many Carbs Does Cauliflower Have?
1 cup of cooked cauliflower has 5 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber. It is a great vegetable to eat while on a keto diet because it’s satisfying and filling. It has a very mild flavor and can take on whatever other flavors you cook with it. It is also great riced or mashed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What cheese can I use for this dish?
Cotija cheese is the perfect cheese for this dish. It’s crumbly and salty, which is just what you need to add flavor and texture to the cauliflower.
How long do I cook the cauliflower?
To properly roast the cauliflower, you need to cook it in the oven at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes. You can also cook the cauliflower in the air fryer on 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Mexican Street Style Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon sriracha
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese or crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (205° C).
- Cut cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Place cauliflower on a baking sheet with a silicon mat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the cauliflower in the oven for 25 minutes, turning once.
- Mix the mayonnaise and sriracha to form a spicy mayo.
- When the cauliflower is done, transfer it to a bowl. Add half the spicy mayo and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Top cauliflower with remaining spicy mayo. Crumble the cheese and sprinkle it over the top of the cauliflower. Sprinkle on the paprika and chopped cilantro. Spritz it with fresh lime juice.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Keto / Low Carb BBQ Sides & Salads To Try
Click for Even More BBQ Sides & Salads
Pin it for later!
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.