These Egg Stuffed Breakfast Peppers are one of our favorite low-carb breakfasts – a poblano pepper baked with egg, sausage and cheese – it hits all the marks.
Finding great things to eat for breakfast while on a keto diet isn’t the easiest thing. Although we have great substitutes like keto pancakes, pumpkin pancakes, chaffles, and biscuits, sometimes you need a breakfast that doesn’t involve mozzarella cheese or almond flour.
When we saw the abundance of poblano peppers at the farmer’s market one day, this breakfast idea popped into our head. Why not make a breakfast stuffed pepper? We love stuffed peppers for dinner. Why not breakfast?
So glad we tried it, because these have become a huge favorite in our house.
What Type of Pepper to Use
The green poblano pepper is the perfect vessel for a breakfast stuffed pepper. Don’t worry about it being too spicy. This pepper is actually very mild, with no spicy kick. They have a good thick skin that holds up in the oven. They have a nice pepper taste, and aren’t not too sweet!
If you can’t find a poblano pepper, you can use Anaheim peppers. They’re very similar in size too, but can pack a bit more heat. Green bell peppers are okay to use too, but the flesh of the pepper is thicker, so the balance of flavors isn’t as good.
» Try all of these Keto/Low Carb Breakfast Ideas.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Peppers – This recipes uses green poblano peppers. Don’t worry, poblanos are very mild. If you can’t find a poblano pepper, you can use Anaheim peppers or bell peppers.
- Breakfast sausage – Use your favorite breakfast sausage, crumbled and cooked.
- Monterey Jack cheese – Monterey jack is a great melting cheese but you could use cheddar, cotija, or mozzarella.
- Toppings – Tomatoes, cilantro, hot sauce, and sour cream.
How to Make Poblano Stuffed Breakfast Peppers
To make these peppers, start by washing and drying your peppers, then slice them horizontally across the top and down the middle to form a T. This gives you good access to the inside while maintaining the sides to hold the filling in.
Spread them out on a baking sheet lined with a silicon mat or parchment paper. Cook at 350° F for 15 minutes. This helps soften the skin of the pepper that can be tough.
Add the crumbled sausage to the pepper, then crack an egg into the well. Sprinkle on some shredded cheese.
Bake the peppers for 15 minutes more or until the egg is done to your liking. When they come out of the oven, serve them right away with some fresh tomato salsa. We also add Cholula hot sauce for an extra kick.
Carbs in Poblano Peppers
Another great thing about poblano peppers is how low in carbs they are. One normal-sized poblano pepper has 4 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of fiber. So there is just 1 net gram of carbs in a poblano pepper. How great is that?
Since you’re adding only egg, sausage and cheese, that means this breakfast contains only 1 net carb. That’s pretty awesome, to be able to start your day off with such a low carb count and a wonderful breakfast.
Tips and Notes
- Get the biggest peppers you can find. That way they will hold more filling.
- Remove the peppers from the oven just before the eggs are the texture you want. They will continue to cook for a bit after you take them out of the oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to remove the skin of the poblano?
No. We don’t remove the skins in this recipe. Poblanos do have a thick skin that can be roasted and removed. We use that skin to our advantage here. You can stuff the peppers and bake them and they hold their shape well.
Are poblano peppers spicy?
No. This pepper is actually very mild , heart shaped pepper, with no spicy kick. They are usually dark green in color and ripen to a dark red or brown. They are close to the bell pepper which is milder than the poblano.
More Recipes from Delightfully Low Carb
Keto Stuffed Breakfast Peppers
- 4 Poblano peppers washed, cut and deseeded
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1/2 cup breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 small tomato diced
- cilantro optional
- hot sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Wash peppers. Cut a T in the pepper and remove the seeds and ribbing. Season the insides with salt and pepper.
- Place peppers on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove peppers from the oven. Add the crumbled sausage and shredded cheese, then crack an egg into each pepper.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your liking. Top with tomato, and cilantro and hot sauce, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Click for Even More Breakfast Recipes
Read More About a Low-Carb Lifestyle
Pin it for later
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.