This low-carb Bacon Cheddar Breakfast Casserole is super tasty and quick to put together, so it makes a great addition to your family breakfast or brunch spread.
Breakfast doesn’t have to be full of carbs. While we still enjoy making low-carb pancakes, the rest of the family doesn’t always love these versions. This breakfast casserole solves those breakfast squabbles.
Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Breakfast casseroles can be made with just about any ingredients you wish, but we find that the bacon, cheddar and broccoli version is a favorite. It’s healthy, light and delicious.
This casserole is made with:
- Spices and seasonings
If you want to mix it up, you can substitute – or just add – sliced or cubed ham or sausage, or make it vegetarian by adding in extra veggies, like cubed squash, onions, bell peppers, or spinach. We also like to add mushrooms and cubed potatoes, once in a while.
How to Make Breakfast Casserole
Since the broccoli won’t have enough time to cook from raw in this casserole, you do need to cook it slightly before adding it to the casserole dish. Just 2-3 minutes in the pan with some water will steam it quickly, so it gets cooked through.
You will also need to cook and crumble the bacon before adding it to the casserole. The bacon won’t cook properly if added to the casserole raw.
Once those elements are cooked, you can add them to a casserole dish. Scramble up the eggs with a little bit of heavy cream and the seasonings, then pour that mixture over the ingredients that are already in the dish.
It takes about 15-20 minutes to thoroughly cook the eggs. You can tell they’re done when the top starts to feel springy to the touch in the center. You can also give the dish a small shake. If the eggs jiggle in the middle, they need a few more minutes.
Be sure to reserve a small amount of the bacon bits and shredded cheddar to put on top of the casserole as garnish before serving. You can also add a bit of fresh parsley or cilantro to the top to dress it up, if you want.
Reheating and Freezing
This Bacon, Cheddar and Broccoli Casserole can be made in advance and reheated in the oven. I don’t recommend reheating it in the microwave, because eggs have a tendency to blow up in the microwave. When ready to reheat, just put it in the oven for 10 minutes on 350 degrees.
You can also freeze the casserole to use at a later date. The same reheating rules apply, though you’d have to cook it in the oven for 20 minutes on 350 degrees, from frozen.
Other Recipes to Try
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Breakfast Casserole
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and spray an 8” x 8” casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and water and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until the broccoli softens slightly and turns bright green.
- Remove from heat and transfer broccoli to prepared casserole dish and spread out evenly. Top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon and side aside.
- Whisk the eggs with the heavy cream, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli, cheddar, and bacon and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the casserole is set and lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.