Keto Sausage & Peppers makes a great low-carb dinner, using any sausage you like, plus bell peppers and a few onions and mushrooms if you like.
This is probably one of the easiest keto meals to make and that’s why it’s always on the menu at my house. All that’s required is a quick chop of the sausages, onions, and pepper, then you can throw it all in a pan or the air fryer and let it cook.
There are 3 net grams of carbs in a serving of Keto Sausage and Peppers. You can add onion and mushroom to the dish to mix it up a little, but the onion will add additional carbs to the total.
Ingredients For This Recipe
- Sausages – Sausages come in different varieties, and you are free to choose any. You can go for chicken, turkey, beef or pork sausages as well. We typically use Italian or Polish sausages for this keto recipe. Cut them in thick slices.
- Bell peppers – Low in carbs, bell peppers are one of the vegetables that are great for keto. Based on the colors, bell pepper flavors can vary from fruity to citrusy. You can choose any colored bell pepper or a combination to make this easy meal. Cut them in equal chunks, and that’s it.
- Onion (optional) – There are a few extra carbs in the onions, so you can decide for yourself whether to include them in this dish. If you want to keep it really low carb, for a keto diet, you’ll probably want to leave the onions out.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is rich in healthy fats. You can use any other vegetable oil as well.
- Paprika: A dash of paprika will add smokiness and a punch of flavor to this dish.
- Garlic salt – Garlic salt is the key to any keto recipe. It adds a great garlic flavor while seasoning the veggies with salt. You can also use Cajun seasoning for this recipe.
- Onion powder – For a more savory flavor, use onion powder. If you are looking for more depth, add garlic powder as well.
- Herbs – Herbs like rosemary and thyme don’t just add aroma but also a distinct flavor to the dish. You can choose either fresh or dried herbs.
- Salt & pepper – No dish is complete without adding salt and black pepper at the end, to taste.
Best Keto Sausages to Use for this Recipe
When selecting sausages for a low carb dish, read the nutrition label and ingredient list carefully. Choose sausages with minimal or no added sugars, low carbohydrate content, and limited use of fillers or additives. Those are best for keto. We typically use Italian or Polish sausages for these recipes. However, if you want to ensure they’re all keto, go for;
- Plain pork sausages with no-added additives and flavorings
- Keto Italian Sausages free of added sugars and fillers
- Bratwurst – Should be free of added sugars and fillers
- Chorizo – free of any added sugars and fillers
- Make your own keto sausages at home
- You can also use any keto-friendly smoked sausage for this recipe.
How to Make Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers?
Making this Keto Sausage and Peppers recipe is super easy. Here is what you need to do:
Pour the sausage and peppers into a large bowl. Drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle with the seasonings. Then stir or toss to coat each piece with seasoning.
Pour the sausage mixture into a frying pan and cook over medium high heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the peppers and onions are tender and the sausage is cooked through.
Even though I didn’t add any sauce to the recipe. You can Marinara sauce from keto-friendly brands such as Rao’s marinara or even hot sauce.
For the air fryer:
Pour the sausage and pepper mixture into the air fryer basket. Cook on 400°F (200C) for 10 minutes, shaking the basket or stirring halfway through.
While I made this recipe in an air fryer it’s just as easy to make crockpot sausage and peppers or slow cooker sausage and peppers. Give it a try!
Can You Make Sausage and Peppers Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make sausage and peppers ahead of time. An easy hack to save your time when meal-prepping or for a party. Just cool and store the dish properly to maintain its quality and flavor. If you’re making this recipe ahead for a party, make it in an instant pot or slow cooker and keep it warm. This way you don’t have to worry about reheating it when serving. If using a slow cooker be careful not to overcook the peppers.
How To Store Leftover Sausage and Peppers?
Allow the cooked sausage and peppers to cool down to room temperature, place the portions in airtight containers, and place in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Sausage and Peppers?
Yes, you can freeze sausage and peppers to store them for longer. Make sure the leftovers are packaged in airtight containers or resealable freezer bags to prevent freezer burn.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are sausages good for keto?
Sausages are a suitable option for a keto diet, but choosing the right type of sausage is important. Before buying, check the nutrition label for the carbohydrate content.
How many carbs are in sausage and peppers?
Three net grams of carbs are in a serving of this Keto Sausage and Peppers recipe.
What sausage should be used?
There are many different types of sausage you can use. You’ll just want to check the nutrition label to make sure it doesn’t have any added sugars or breadcrumbs that will add to the carb count.
We typically use Vienna sausage for this sausage and peppers recipe, (which is what is used in the pictures), but we’ve also used Italian sausage, Polish sausage, and even breakfast sausage.
Does it matter what peppers I use?
Just like with the sausage, you can use whatever peppers you want. Bell peppers are the best type because they’re thick and large. Any color is fine. Red peppers have more sweetness. Green are more bitter and savory. You can also use Anaheim or pointed peppers…
Can I store and reheat this dish?
Yes. You can store the leftovers by placing them in an airtight container. They will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Simply reheat in the air fryer at 400° F for about 5 minutes.
You can also freeze this dish, either before or after cooking. It will last for up to 3 months in the freezer. This is a great freezer meal that you can always have on hand to toss into the air fryer when you need to make a quick meal.
What to Serve With This Recipe?
If you’re looking for a great side dish to serve alongside this main dish, why not try one of these easy low carb recipes below. They will compliment this main dish very well and are all low in carbs so you can make a great keto or low-carb meal to enjoy.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Keto Sausage and Peppers
- 2 bell peppers any color, cut in chunks
- 2-3 Sausages thick sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash rosemary
- Dash thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Put the bell peppers, onions, and sausage in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir to coat.
- Pour the sausage mixture into a frying pan and cook over medium high heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are tender.
For the air fryer:
- Pour the sausage mixture into the air fryer basket. Cook on 400°F (200C) for 10 minutes, shaking the basket or stirring halfway through.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin this recipe for later
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.