This low-carb chicken fajita casserole is made with chicken strips, peppers, onions, cheese and flavorful fajitas seasoning. It comes together quickly and makes a very satisfying and delicious low-carb dinner.
If you’re looking to spice up your menu, this recipe is a great place to start. All it takes is a handful of fresh ingredients to turn basic chicken breasts into flavorful chicken fajitas.
I really like fajitas, especially as a low carb meal option. They can be made with steak, chicken, or shrimp and are filled with tasty peppers and onions. It’s kind of the perfect go-to meal for a keto or low carb diet.
You would normally make fajitas by grilling the meat, onions and peppers, then load it all into a tortilla and tuck in. This casserole is all the good stuff you’d load inside, but without the tortilla.
There are tons of ways to make this recipe your own, but here’s what I use to make my favorite chicken fajitas:
- Chicken Breasts: Slice the chicken into thin strips, just like you would with regular fajitas. You can also use steak, pork strips, or portabella mushrooms for a change of pace.
- Bell Peppers: I like to use one of each, green, red, and yellow because it’s a pretty mix, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Onion: To keep it as low carb as possible, we only use half an onion. If you want to add more, you certainly can, though it will change the carb count.
- Mayonnaise: The mayo adds a bit of creaminess to the dish. It does add extra fat, but if you’re on a keto diet, that’s a good thing anyway!
- Cheese: I like to use white and yellow cheddar for this recipe, but you can opt for a different cheese like a Mexican blend or Monterrey Jack.
- Fajita Seasoning Mix: For this I use dried seasonings that I have on hand – chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder. Here’s a recipe to use. If you have a favorite fajita mix you like, that’s okay too.
- Fresh Cilantro: A little cilantro as a garnish!
How to Make Chicken Fajita Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 F (190C). Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. You can really use any casserole dish. I have an 8″x8″ dish that I use often.
Combine the spices in a small bowl and mix well. I really prefer to mix up my own fajita seasoning because then you know it won’t have any additives or sugars in it. If you have a store-bought one that you like and trust, you could substitute it here if you want.
Spread the chicken strips in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle on half the seasoning. It might seem like a lot, but it’s necessary for building all that delicious flavor.
Spread on the mayonnaise. You don’t have to be precise with this, just use a spoon or spatula and spread it as evenly as you can. Then top with half of the shredded cheese.
Next, spread the peppers and onions evenly over the top.
Finally, sprinkle on the remaining seasoning and cheese.
Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. This keeps the cheese from browning too quickly. Remove the tin foil and bake an additional 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Notes: The chicken needs to register 165° F to be safe to eat. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it’s reached that level before consuming.
Variations & Options
- I’ve seen variations of this casserole being made with whole chicken breasts. I don’t prefer that option, as the meat doesn’t get as flavorful, and it takes longer for the chicken to get fully cooked. However, if that’s how you’d rather eat it, you just need to adjust the cook time to 30 minutes total.
- If your family wants some carbs, you can serve warm tortillas on the side or even add some pasta that can be mixed in for those who want it.
- You can use different spices to make this dish slightly different, if you want. A packet of dry ranch dressing mix or dry Italian dressing mix will change it up in a fun and delicious way.
- Serve up this fajita mix with a homemade keto tortilla. These tortillas are flexible enough to hold all of the ingredients and quite tasty as well.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Low-Carb Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 ounces chicken breast sliced (350 grams)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese Mexican blend, Monterrey Jack, or cheddar
- 3 bell peppers red, green, yellow, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190C). Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl and mix well.
- Spread the chicken strips in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle on half the seasoning. Spread on the mayonnaise. Top with half of the shredded cheese.
- Spread the peppers and onion evenly over the top. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning and cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake an additional 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Low-Carb/Keto Chicken Casserole Recipes To Try
Click for Even More Bowl Recipes
Laura is dedicated to a low-carb lifestyle after losing 52 pounds on the keto diet. As many of us do, she struggles with her weight and has found that one of the only diet lifestyles that allows her to maintain a healthy weight is a low-carb diet. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.