This Mexican Shredded Beef is one of the most versatile meats you’ll ever make. It’s very low in carbs and you can use it for so many Mexican dishes, like tacos, salads, and lettuce wraps.
If you like making Mexican dishes, you must learn how to make this easy Mexican shredded beef. There’s never been a tastier way to add flavor and spice to your dishes.
Make a large batch of this shredded beef, and you can use it to make so many other meals. It is a perfect addition to tacos using these homemade keto tortillas. Leftovers can also be added to vegetable soups or mixed green salads for a quick lunch the next day.
Ingredients in Mexican Shredded Beef
The reason it’s so simple to make Mexican shredded beef is because there are very few ingredients involved, and you can make it in three different ways: on the stove top, in a slow cooker, or in a pressure cooker.
The ingredients you need for this dish are:
- Beef chuck roast or brisket
- Spices: cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, oregano
- Canned tomatoes
- Orange juice
- Beef stock
Beef chuck roast is a low cost meat that works really well in this recipe. There are other cuts of beef you can use, like brisket. You can also make this recipe with pork. I use pork shoulder.
How to Eat Shredded Beef
When you’re on a low-carb diet, you start to seek out ways to eat your favorites, like this Mexican shredded beef, without the carbs that typically go alongside it, like flour tortillas or corn chips.
Here’s the good news. This shredded beef doesn’t really need a vessel, like a tortilla. You can serve it with any veggies you like. Use it to top a salad. Or serve it alongside roasted brussels sprouts, or on top of a bed of cauliflower rice.
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2½ lbs. beef chuck roast
- Sea salt and black pepper to season the meat
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 10- oz. can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 large limes cut into 8 wedges each
- Spray the bottom and sides of a slow-cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the slow cooker crock, add the tomatoes, beef stock, lime juice, onion, jalapeno, and spices. Stir to combine.
- When done cooking, remove lid and shred beef with two forks while still inside the slow cooker. Allow shredded beef to marinate in warm cooking juices for at least 5 minutes to absorb more flavor.
- Transfer shredded beef with tongs from the slow cooker to a fine mesh strainer and allow excess liquid to drain. Then transfer it to a serving platter or bowl. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with cilantro and fresh lime wedges.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.