This low-carb Philly Cheesesteak casserole is made with tender strips of beef, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese. It comes together quickly and makes a very satisfying and delicious low-carb dinner.
If you’re looking for creative casseroles that are low in carbs and big on flavor, this is the one, especially if you like Philly Cheesesteaks, and who doesn’t really?
I especially love this casserole as a low carb meal option. It can be made with steak, chicken, or shrimp and filled with any color bell peppers and onions. It’s kind of the perfect go-to meal for a keto or low carb diet.
You would normally make Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches, but don’t want to eat the carbs in the bread, this is a great alternative. This casserole is all the good stuff you’d load inside, but without the bread.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Beef Strips: Slice the beef into thin strips or slices, just like you would for a sandwich. You can also use chicken, pork strips, or portabella mushrooms for a change of pace.
- Bell Peppers: I like to use green peppers because it’s more authentic to the sandwich, but you can use whatever colored peppers you have on hand.
- Onion: To keep it as low carb as possible, we only use half an onion. If you want to add more, you certainly can, though it will change the carb count.
- Mushrooms – The type of mushroom is up to you. We use white button mushrooms or cremini (baby bella) mushrooms.
- Cream cheese: The cream cheese adds a bit of creaminess to the dish. It does add extra fat, but if you’re on a keto diet, that’s a good thing anyway!
- Cheese: I like to use provolone or mozzarella for this recipe, but you can opt for a different cheese like a Mexican blend or Monterrey Jack.
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 F (190C). Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. You can really use any casserole dish. I have an 8″x8″ dish that I use often.
Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Season with some of the salt and pepper. Cook the beef strips and mushrooms to almost done. Transfer the beef to a 9”x13” casserole dish.
Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the peppers and onion. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Sauté until softened. Transfer to the casserole dish.
Spread on the cream cheese evenly and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Love the ease of a casserole? Try this Chicken Cauliflower Casserole.
Other Philly Cheesesteak Dishes to Love
We make all kinds of Philly Cheesesteak inspired dishes at our house because everyone loves the flavors and it’s a great low-carb option for those of us who don’t eat bread. Here are a few of our favorites to try.
Variations & Options
- If your family wants some carbs, you can serve warm tortillas or bread rolls on the side or even add some pasta that can be mixed in for those who want it.
- You can use different spices to make this dish slightly different, if you want. A packet of dry ranch dressing mix or dry Italian dressing mix will change it up in a fun and delicious way.
- Serve up this Philly Cheesesteak casserole with a homemade keto tortilla. These tortillas are flexible enough to hold all of the ingredients and quite tasty as well.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Easy Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef sliced into strips
- 2 green bell peppers sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 5 medium button mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or 4 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Season with some of the salt and pepper. Cook the beef strips to almost done. Transfer the beef to a 9”x13” casserole dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Saute until softened. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Spread on the cream cheese evenly and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.