A low-carb way to enjoy the flavors of a classic egg roll – cabbage, carrots, and sausage melded with the umami of soy sauce, ginger, and sesame.
I’m a huge fan of “bowls” like this one, that combine many flavors into one cohesive dish. The idea is to include all different types of flavors and textures, which makes the bowl incredibly satisfying. This Egg Roll in a Bowl combination is one of the best.
I think I could eat this bowl multiple times per week and never get sick of it. You won’t even miss the addition of a carb, like rice or noodles, in this dish.
The crunch from the cabbage and carrots, along with the filling protein of the sausage, makes for a very satisfy meal. You can use ground beef, chicken or turkey in this Egg Roll Bowl, as well, if you don’t want to use pork. The results are very much the same.
>> Looking for the classic version of this recipe? Check out this Homemade Egg Roll Recipe.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
One of the best parts of this recipe is that you can cook it in just one pot. All you need is a large skillet and you’re ready to go.
Step one is to brown the sausage and break it up into bite-sized pieces. Make sure you leave the sausage on the heat long enough to develop some crispy brown bits. That will add excellent flavor to this dish.
If there is a lot of excess grease from the sausage, drain most of it before moving to the next step. A little extra grease will help add crispiness to the cabbage, so don’t remove it all!
Throw in the rest of the ingredients, minus the soy sauce and vinegar. You want to get a good sizzle going on the cabbage, so leave it alone in the pan for a while before stirring. This will help brown the cabbage and add lots of flavor.
Once the cabbage is nice and tender, about 10-15 minutes, add the soy sauce and vinegar and stir it all up really well. Give the sauce a few minutes to do its thing, then remove from the heat and serve. See how easy that is!
This dish is fantastic all on its own. There’s no need to serve it alongside anything else. That’s the joy of the bowl. However, you can also add cauliflower rice to bulk it up a bit, if you want. I also add Sriracha over the top of the bowl before serving it, to give it a little extra heat.
Like this recipe? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Easy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 lb. spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp fresh ginger finely minced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Once sausage is no longer pink, remove from heat and spoon the excess grease from pan.
- Return skillet to heat. Reduce heat to medium and add shredded cabbage, carrots, garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and rice vinegar. Stir to combine. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if using, and serve immediately.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
You might also like
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.