This Keto Alfredo Sauce is made with butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese, which come together to make the creamiest, richest sauce you can imagine to put on keto noodles or to pour over your favorite vegetables.
>> You might also like this Low Carb Cajun Chicken “Pasta” made with low carb noodle alternative.
This is one of my favorite sauces to make, because it can be used in so many different ways. I love to pour it over steamed cauliflower or broccoli. And it’s great as a pasta sauce for low-carb noodles or a pasta substitute.
In Italy, Alfredo sauce is not made with cream. It’s just a simple butter and Parmesan topping for pasta. Not surprisingly, Americans added cream to the sauce and sort of commandeered it for our own. I’m not mad about it, but you definitely won’t find this type of creamy sauce on an authentic Italian meal. Regardless, it’s delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
One of the reasons I love this sauce so much is because there are very few ingredients. This way, the ingredients speak for themselves and the flavors shine. However, this means you need to use high-quality ingredients.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter. I typically use salted, and then don’t have to add much additional salt to taste at the end. If you use unsalted, you’ll likely have to add a bit of salt to the sauce at the end.
- Heavy cream – A heavy whipping cream or double cream works well. Single cream or half-and-half has less fat content and will be more difficult to reduce into a luscious creamy sauce.
- Parmesan cheese – I always shred my own Parmesan cheese from the block. It’s so much better, fresher, and tastier. I highly recommend doing that. If you really don’t want to, buy freshly shredded cheese, not the shelf-stable pulverized kind.
- Garlic – You can add more garlic if you like it. I like to add it sparingly or add it in a chunk that can be removed, like they do in Italy.
- Salt and pepper – Add at the end just to flavor if necessary. With the cheese and the butter, it’s often not necessary to use more salt.
How to Make Keto Alfredo Sauce
In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Then add the cream and whisk it together. Add the garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat, allowing it to lightly bubble, but not boil, until the cream is slightly thickened. You don’t want it to get too thick or it won’t be a smooth sauce. It will become thick and clumpy.
Remove it from the heat. This makes it a perfect temperature to add the Parmesan without it becoming too hot and clumpy.
Add the Parmesan cheese a little at a time, whisking in between, until fully incorporated. It will completely mix into the cream, so it’s just a nice velvety sauce.
What to Use Keto Alfredo Sauce For?
It’s seriously good poured over the top of vegetables. If you’re looking for a way to elevate taste on your veggies, this is it! It goes well with cauliflower and broccoli or brussels sprouts.
If you don’t mind miracle noodles or keto-friendly pasta alternatives, you can use this Alfredo sauce as you would with regular pasta. I know a lot of people don’t like the texture of shirataki or konjac pasta, like Miracle Noodles or Wonder Noodles, but it really doesn’t bother me. It’s nice to have a pasta alternative once in a while.
If you don’t like shirataki noodles, you can use spiralized zucchini noodles or Palmini noodles.
How Long Does It Keep?
It’s always best to use this creamy sauce right away. That’s when it will be at its best and most creamiest. However, you can store it in a container in the refrigerator for a few days and reheat it slowly on the stovetop when you’re ready to use it again.
Can I Freeze Alfredo Sauce?
You technically can freeze it and reheat it without it breaking and turning into glop, but I really don’t recommend it. Since this sauce is incredibly easy and quick to make, I always suggest making it fresh when you need it. It’ll take just as much time to reheat frozen as it will to make it fresh.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Keto Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Then add the cream and whisk together. Add the garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat, lightly bubbling, until the cream is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add the Parmesan cheese a little at a time, whisking in between, until fully incorporated.
- Use as desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin this recipe for later
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.