Use leftover chicken breast mixed with mayonnaise and spices to make these easy Keto Chicken Lettuce Wraps. A delicious, quick, and easy lunchtime meal.
Chicken breast is a great protein to meal prep, but eating it the same way everyday can get a bit boring. Instead of eating it as is, mix the chicken breast with your favorite vegetables and spices to make keto-friendly lettuce wraps.
The mayonnaise and avocado bring a lovely creaminess to the dish that is only amplified by the tart cherry tomatoes. Use other spices and condiments to give these easy keto chicken lettuce wraps your own spin.
Ingredients You Need
- Butter Lettuce: Butter lettuce is one of the easiest lettuces to use for wraps because they are already conveniently sized, but you can also use Radicchio leaves, or any lettuce leaves you like.
- Chicken Breast: This recipe uses already cooked chicken breast to save time. My favorite way to make this lunch is with a rotisserie chicken, but you can make the chicken breast yourself if you want.
- Avocado: If you are going to eat the chicken wraps later, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the avocado to prevent browning.
- Cherry Tomatoes: These little tomatoes have the perfect blend of sweet and tart. They also don’t have all the water content of larger tomatoes, so they don’t make the lettuce wraps soggy and soaked. You can use other types of tomatoes, but dice them small and try to drain the excess water.
- Cilantro: A fresh herb like cilantro adds a nice, refreshing taste to the chicken lettuce wraps. Feel free to skip it if you don’t like cilantro. Or you can use parsley or basil.
- Mayonnaise: I prefer mayonnaise because makes the chicken filling super creamy and it’s simple, but you can add in some other condiments to build on its flavors, like Dijon mustard or horseradish.
- Salt & Black Pepper: bring out the flavors of the other ingredients. Season to taste.
- Red Pepper Flakes: optional, but will add a nice bit of heat.
How to Make Keto Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Remove the leaves from a head of butter lettuce and wash them thoroughly. Since they are already just the right size, you won’t have to cut them down. If you’re using a different lettuce, you might have to cut them into pieces for the right size.
Combine the chicken, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir it all up to coat the chicken completely. Give it a quick taste to see if you need to adjust the seasonings. Now is a great time to add any extras you might like – add some bell peppers, dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds – whatever you like.
Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the 8 lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired. You’ll want to serve these wraps right away so they don’t become watery.
Substitutions & Variations:
- Lettuce: use different lettuce greens for the wraps to switch up the taste. Some good options are romaine lettuce, iceberg, or swiss chard.
- Chicken: use another type of keto-friendly protein like beef or pork.
- Crunch: give the chicken lettuce wraps a bit of crunch by adding in cabbage or bell peppers. They will give a nice pop of color too.
- Asian: switch out the mayonnaise for some coconut aminos and rice wine vinegar for Asian-inspired chicken lettuce wraps. Sprinkle on sesame seeds for a nice presentation.
- Mexican: season the leftover chicken with a bit of taco seasoning to give them a Mexican twist.
- Spicy: mix the mayonnaise with some sriracha to give the lettuce wraps a lovely bit of heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I meal prep this recipe?
You can meal prep these chicken lettuce wraps, but there are some things to keep in mind. The recipe includes avocados which brown quickly. If you are going to meal prep this recipe, then don’t add in the avocado until the day you are going to eat the chicken. You’ll also want to store the chicken mixture and the lettuce leaves separately and put them together right before eating for the best freshness.
How do I store chicken lettuce wraps?
Place the chicken mix in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can freeze the mixture too if you want. It will keep for up to a month in the freezer.
To store leftover lettuce, place the leaves in a Ziploc bag with a damp paper towel. It should last in the fridge for about 4-7 days.
You can pull the chicken directly from the fridge and serve it immediately. For frozen chicken, allow it to come up to fridge temperature before serving it. Don’t attempt to heat it or defrost it in the microwave.
What to Serve the Keto Chicken Lettuce Wraps With
- Keto-friendly Dipping Sauce – Try homemade sauces like thousand island dressing, blue cheese, or ranch.
- Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Cabbage Slaw
- Roasted Vegetables or Garden Salad
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Keto Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves removed and washed
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 avocado cubed
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes optional
- Spread 8 lettuce leaves out on a plate.
- Combine the chicken, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir to coat.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly between 8 lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired.
- You can add crumbled bacon or shredded cheese to the lettuce wraps, if you like.
- Chicken can be substituted with turkey, or with cubed halloumi cheese for a vegetarian wrap.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Read More About a Low-Carb Lifestyle
Pin it for later!
Angela lives in the Pacific Northwest with her two kids. She loves to read, cook, bake, try new recipes, and mix cocktails.