- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 8 mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- handful fresh basil leaves shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dried red chilli flakes for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Cut the eggplant in half, lengthways, and cut out the flesh, leaving about ¼” all around. Reserve the flesh for another use.
Brush the inside of the eggplant with olive oil and season with salt. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and saute on medium heat until softened. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and herbs. Stir and cook until browned.
Next add the chopped tomatoes. Stir to combine, reduce the heat and simmer over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the mozzarella cheese and basil. Stir just to combine.
Spoon the mixture into the eggplant halves. Season with salt and pepper. Bake the stuffed eggplants for 20 minutes. Garnish with red pepper flakes and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
- To cut down on the carbs in this dish, we don't use the inner flesh of the eggplant. Reserve it for another use.
- You can add ground beef, pork, or chicken to this recipe. Just remove one tomato to preserve the ratio of ingredients.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 96mg | Potassium: 566mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 633IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1mg
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.