These wonder bread chaffles are so easy to make in the Dash waffle maker and they turn out super light and fluffy – a perfect replacement for white bread for a low-carb diet.
»You might like these Keto English Muffins.
A mini waffle maker is one of those priceless tools in a low-carb kitchen. You can make these “white bread” chaffles, along with these easy keto chocolate chaffles and basic keto chaffles with all kinds of different seasonings.
Actually, I have to get this out of the way… these wonder bread waffles aren’t really chaffles at all. Chaffles are cheese waffles, which is how they got their name. These waffles don’t contain cheese, and that’s what makes them so fluffy and light.
Instead of cheese, you make these with:
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
I use almond flour from WholesomeYum, which you can buy directly through that link (it’s our affiliate link). It’s the best almond flour I’ve found. It’s a blanched finely ground almond flour with a great texture and flavor, with just 2 grams or net carbs per serving.
These Wonder Bread Chaffles are great for making sandwiches while on a low-carb or keto diet because they turn out super fluffy and light, just like a slice of white bread. I’m always lamenting that I can’t make sandwiches easily, but with this recipe, I can! Try this keto avocado egg salad with bacon or keto chicken salad both of which make great sandwiches on this wonder bread chaffle.
How to Make Wonder Bread Chaffles
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl until it’s well beaten, then add the almond flour, mayonnaise, baking powder and water. Whisk it again until you have a nice smooth batter.
- Spray the waffle iron with oil or non-stick cooking spray. Pour half the batter into the waffle maker and cook it until the machine clicks to signal its done. Repeat with the second waffle.
The drawback of using this little Dash waffle maker is that it can only cook one at a time. But to make two slices of bread, it only takes about 5 minutes.
You can use a large waffle maker, but I don’t recommend using a Belgium waffle maker, with deep ridges. There’s not enough batter to fill one up, and it will just end up being sort of heavy and dense.
Adding Spices & Seasonings
If you want to add some spices or seasonings to flavor your wonder bread chaffles, that’s always an option. We like to add
- Everything Bagel seasoning
- Garlic powder
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Wonder Bread Chaffles
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp water
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- Whisk egg until well beaten then add almond flour, mayo, baking powder and water.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour half the batter into the waffle maker and cook until machine clicks to signal its done. Repeat with second waffle.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later!
Angela lives in the Pacific Northwest with her two kids. She loves to read, cook, bake, try new recipes, and mix cocktails.