These Butternut Squash Noodles are not only delicious, they’re a great substitute for pasta in your meal.
Choosing a low-carb lifestyle means changing out ingredients you once ate for lower-carb options and that’s where these butternut squash noodles come in.
Unlike zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles are stronger and hold up to cooking and combining with sauce better. They’re a great alternative for sauces that might become soggy with the addition of zucchini noodles.
Is Butternut Squash Low in Carbohydrates?
There are 10 grams of carbs and 2 grams to fiber in a 3 oz serving of butternut squash noodles. That brings your total to 8 net carbs.
While that’s not low enough to gorge on butternut squash, it is low enough in carbs to fit into your meal plan for the day, as long as the other meals you eat are not equally high.
I like to work out a meal plan that allows me to eat an array of different vegetables, and that often means a little give and take. Fitting 3 oz of butternut squash noodles into the mix is easy when balanced with lower carb veggies in another meal.
How to Make Butternut Squash Noodles
There’s not a lot of skill needed to make butternut squash noodles. In fact, all you really need is a spiralizer. This is the one that I use on a more regular basis, because it’s simple. I’ve tried a few different one, including the full countertop version, which works better, but isn’t as quick to pull out and use. I’m lazy sometimes.
If you want to read more about the pros and cons of the top-rated spiralizers, check out this post.
Once you’ve spiralized the noodles, you just have to cook them and combine them with the your favorite sauce.
How to Serve Butternut Squash Noodles
As mentioned, you can use these noodles in any sauce you wish, like spaghetti sauce, fettucini, or Bolognese. They’re also really tasty just as they are in this recipe, with brown butter and sage.
You can serve them as a main dish, or as a side dish. This version of the noodles makes a great side dish for chicken wings or pulled pork.
Like this recipe? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Savory Butternut Squash Noodles
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 oz butternut squash “noodles”
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ tbsp fresh sage chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Spiralize the raw butternut squash into noodles.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add butternut squash noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning frequently to ensure they cook evenly. When noodles are slightly softened, remove from pan and set aside. Keep warm.
- Add butter to pan and heat until melted. Stir in chopped sage and cook until fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Return butternut squash noodles to pan and toss to coat in sage butter mixture. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately with your favorite entrée or as a light main course.
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.