This Low Carb Kale Sausage Soup is one of our favorite low-carb soups, with hearty chunks of sausage and kale in a creamy broth.
You might not know this, but sausage and kale go really well together, and when you add them to a creamy tomato broth, it becomes a soul-warming soup that you’ll want to eat all the time.
A soup like this, with spicy Italian sausage and kale, is called Zuppa Tuscano in Italy, although that version always includes potatoes or white beans. I still like to think of this as a delicious Italian soup.
It’s really one of my favorite soups and I’m thrilled that it can be made low carb. This version obviously leaves out the potato and beans, but it also cuts down on onion and tomato paste, which can add additional unnecessary carbs.
How to Make Kale Sausage Soup
The first thing you’ll need to do for this recipe is brown the sausage and the bacon.
I use spicy ground sausage because it has a lot of flavor, but you can substitute with any sausage you want. Just make sure it’s not highly processed and containing extra hidden carbs in the form of sugars.
While I don’t think it’s necessary (and it’s not a step I included in the recipe below to keep it super simple), I think it adds an extra depth of flavor to saute the kale in the bacon drippings before adding it to the soup. But you can skip this step, if you want.
Next saute the onion and garlic, then add the water, chicken bouillon cubes and seasonings. Let this all meld together. Then add the sausage, bacon, tomatoes and kale to the pot and let it all simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
The last thing you’ll do is add the cream to the soup. Just heat it through, don’t boil it once the cream has been added.
This soup isn’t thick. If you want to thicken it up a little bit, you can add the Parmesan cheese to the soup and stir it in. I prefer it not thick, and I think the nice dusting of Parmesan cheese on top is best.
Other Recipes to Try:
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Low Carb Kale Sausage Soup
- 1/2 lb spicy Italian ground sausage
- 4 oz bacon diced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 3 cups kale chopped, hard stems removed
- 15 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese shredded for serving
- Brown the sausage in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks. When done, transfer sausage meat to a plate.
- Cook the bacon in the same pot over medium heat until crispy. Drain, leaving about 1 tsp of the drippings in the pot. Add the cooked bacon to the plate with the sausage.
- Sauté onions in the pot and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Increase heat to high, pour the water into the skillet and bring to a boil. Season with chicken bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the sausage, bacon, tomatoes and kale. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the kale has softened.
- Add heavy cream. Heat through. Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the top.