These keto chocolate chip cookies are very similar to the real thing and will definitely cure your craving for chocolate chip cookies.
If you haven’t done a lot of low-carb baking, you might not know that almond flour works very similarly to regular wheat flour in desserts like cookies and brownies.
That’s really good news when it comes to solving your cookie cravings while on a low-carb or keto diet. Most of the ingredients in cookies (flour, sugar, chocolate chips) are not allowed on this diet, but there’s a substitution for everything these days.
- For wheat flour: Almond flour
- For sugar: Erythritol or Monk Fruit Sweetener (or swerve, stevia, xylitol, etc)
- For chocolate chips: sugar-free chocolate (we like Lily’s sugar-free chocolate chips.)
These are easy ingredients to find online, if you don’t have them in your regular grocery store. I usually buy them directly from the brand website, but you can also get them on Amazon. I just stock them in the kitchen regularly because I know I’ll want them to make low-carb and keto foods.
One warning on the sugar substitutes. I like Erythritol because it tastes the most like regular sugar to me and it doesn’t have a bitter aftertaste, but it does have a strange cooling effect in your mouth when you eat it.
This recipe uses Erythritol. If you use another sugar, you’ll have to figure out the amount that’s appropriate to use. All sugar substitutes have different levels of sugar taste to quantity. You can’t make a direct substitution with another sugar.
Tips for Making Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies tend not to spread when you bake them. If you want them to be in a traditional cookie shape, you should press down on the dough with a spoon, so it’s not in a ball. This will help them cook in a more flattened shape.
You can make these into whatever size cookie you want. For small cookies, this recipe makes around 16 cookies; 12 medium sized and 8 large cookies. Remember that the number of carbs per cookie goes up as they get bigger.
Add chopped walnuts or pecans, if you like a bit more crunch.
Other Recipes to Try
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3.5 oz salted butter melted
- 4.5 oz erythritol
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 oz almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 oz sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter (it should be melted, but not hot).
- Put the butter and erythritol in a mixing bowl and beat until combined. Add the vanilla and egg, and beat on low until well combined.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Beat on low until well combined.
- Add the chocolate chips to the dough and stir in with a spoon.
- Use the spoon to scoop out dough for the size of cookie you want and place in a ball on a baking tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F until the tops are golden brown.
- Allow to cool before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.