Keto turkey meatballs are quick to make and they are a perfect dish for anyone on a keto diet because they are carb-free and very versatile. You can serve them in many different ways.
The Keto diet relies on foods with high protein and low carbs. Most people think this restriction prevents them from enjoying delicious dishes, but you can enjoy flavors without compromising your diet requirement if you know your ingredients.
Keto turkey meatballs are just that dish that gives you the right macros, tons of flavor, and ease of cooking. It is quick and simple, yet turns out juicy meatballs.
You can pair these meatballs with anything you like. Enjoy them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can make a nice light tomato sauce to go with them, or serve them with BBQ sauce, or in a keto turkey gravy.
Ingredients you need
Here is everything you will need to make these keto turkey meatballs:
- Ground turkey: the main ingredient you will need to kick start the recipe is ground turkey. Since turkey is lean meat, you can choose any cut and get ground meat. However, for extra juicy meatballs, I prefer using tight meat. This particular part has healthy fats, which result in extra juicy meatballs. If you don’t find thigh meat, you can also use turkey breast meat. It will work just fine.
- Green onion: green onions have an oniony flavor. The green parts have a herbaceous flavor. It is a perfect ingredient to add savory flavor to these meatballs.
- Cilantro: freshly chopped cilantro is refreshing and offers slight citrusy notes to the meatballs.
- Egg: An egg is not just rich in protein but acts as a binding agent in these meatballs. Because of the egg, the meatballs hold shape and don’t fall apart when cooking.
- Oregano: use fresh or dried oregano to season the meatballs and add aroma and flavor. You can, however, use Italian seasoning, which is a blend of dried herbs. It offers both aroma and a more depth of flavor.
- Salt: season the meatballs with salt as per your liking.
- Black pepper: a dash of black pepper adds flavor and spice to the meatballs.
- Tomato sauce: you can use tomato sauce to serve these meatballs. It is tasteful, savory, and just perfect.
How to Make Keto Turkey Meatballs?
Making keto turkey meatballs is super easy. Here is what you have to do:
Step 1: in a large bowl, add ground turkey meat, cilantro, chopped green onion, oregano, egg, salt, and black pepper.
Mix the ingredients using your hands or a rubber spatula until they are just mixed. Make sure you don’t overmix them.
Step 2: Shape the mixture into 20 equal-sized meatballs using your hands. Place the meatballs on a parchment-lined baking tray.
Step 3: Bake the meatballs in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they get a golden color. You can check the internal temperature of the meatballs for doneness. It should be 165 degrees F.
Step 4: Once done, take them out of the oven and serve with tomato sauce or any other sauce you like. Enjoy!
Tips for Making Keto Turkey Meatballs
Here are a few things you should keep in mind when making keto turkey meatballs:
- For soft meatballs, try not to overmix the turkey. Mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- To prevent the meatball mixture from sticking to your hands, coat them with vegetable oil.
- You can cook the meatballs in an air fryer as well. Don’t forget to flip them halfway into the cook.
- If the mixture seems too runny or sticky, add a tablespoon of almond flour.
- Don’t overcook the meatballs, or they will turn dry. Check the internal temperature. It shouldn’t exceed 165 degrees F.
What to Serve It With?
Here are a few ideas for serving these delicious keto meatballs:
- Sauces: Serve these meatballs with your favorite low-carb sauce like tomato sauce or marinara sauce.
- Vegetables: Serve these meatballs alongside your favorite roasted vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, etc.
- Keto spaghetti: these meatballs go well with keto spaghetti, i.e., Zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Cauliflower rice: Cauliflower rice is a popular keto side dish that goes well with many main dishes. You can serve it with turkey meatballs and a sauce and enjoy a complete meal.
How to Store Keto Turkey Meatballs?
Store the leftover turkey meatballs in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave and enjoy.
You can also freeze cooked meatballs. Once they cool down, place them on a baking tray and flash freeze. Now store them in an airtight container or plastic zip-lock bag. Thaw and reheat to enjoy.
You can flash uncooked freeze meatballs and then store them in a zip lock bag. You don’t need to thaw frozen uncooked meatballs. Cook them in a preheated oven until they are done.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Easy Keto Turkey Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Don’t overmix. Form about 20 meatballs and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown on top. The meatballs should reach at least 165° F internal temperature when done.
- Serve on their own or with any sauce you like.
- Don’t over-mix the turkey. Just incorporate all the ingredients and stop mixing. This will prevent them from being tough.
- Coat your hands in oil before rolling the meatballs to prevent sticking.
- Be sure to check the internal temperature of the meatballs to be sure they are cooked through.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Read More About a Low-Carb Lifestyle
Pin it for later!
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.