Enjoy the flavors of a cheeseburger in a piping hot bowl of this delicious low-carb cheeseburger soup.
I was pretty skeptical before I made this soup for the first time. I love cheese burgers and I desperately miss them while I’m eating low-carb, but it just didn’t sound like it would make a very tasty soup.
I was so wrong.
This is now one of my favorite soups and it’s perfect for low-carb eaters, because the simple ingredients are all low- or no-carb stars.
You can even turn this into a bacon cheeseburger! With loads of cheese, bacon, hamburger, and onions, it’s as close to a cheeseburger as you can get in a soup.
How to Make Low-Carb Cheeseburger Soup
This soup can be made any way you like – on the stove top, in the Instant Pot, or in the slow cooker. Adjustments only need to be made to how much time you cook it for, depending which method you choose.
This soup can all be made in one pot. Use a 3-quart stock pot. Start by browning the ground beef. The more browned, the better, because all those crisp brown edges lead to increased flavor. Remove the beef from the pot when done.
Now add the butter and, when melted, add the cauliflower, celery and onion. Saute on medium heat until softened. It takes about 5-8 minutes. Then you can add the garlic and saute for another minute, stirring constantly. You don’t want the garlic to burn. It smells very bitter when burned.
Add the ground beef back to the pan, along with the broth, tomato paste, bacon, salt and pepper. Cook for around 10 minutes to build flavor.
Turn the heat to low. The liquid cannot be boiling at this point, or the cream and cheese will curdle. Add the heavy cream, the cream cheese and the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is all melted.
Serve the soup with bacon crumbles and extra shredded cheese on top. You can also add some crispy onions and chopped pickles, if you want it to taste even more like a burger.
Can Leftovers Be Frozen?
Absolutely, you can freeze this soup. When you heat it back up, you want to do it gradually and while stirring, so the cream doesn’t break. Again, don’t bring it to a boil when reheating.
Other recipes to try
- Super Easy Low Carb Pizza Sauce and Keto Crust
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- Loaded Cauliflower Baked Casserole
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cauliflower cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup celery diced
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 strips bacon cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. When done, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add butter to the stockpot and whisk the browned bits from the bottom. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the cauliflower, celery and onion. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the beef broth, ground beef, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Do not allow the liquid to boil. Stir in the shredded cheese until fully melted.
- Serve with bacon crumbles and shredded cheddar cheese on top.