Enjoy the flavors of a cheeseburger in a piping hot bowl of this delicious keto cheeseburger soup, with ground beef, bacon, onion, cauliflower, cream, and lots of delicious cheese.
I was pretty skeptical before I made this soup for the first time. I love cheese burgers and I desperately miss them while I’m eating low-carb, but it just didn’t sound like it would make a very tasty soup.
I was so wrong.
This is now one of my favorite soups and it’s perfect for low-carb eaters, because the simple ingredients are all low- or no-carb stars. That makes it a great keto lunch.
You can even turn this into a bacon cheeseburger! With loads of cheese, bacon, hamburger, and onions, it’s as close to a cheeseburger as you can get in a soup.
» If you are missing cheeseburgers also you might want to try these Air Fryer Hamburger Stuffed Mushrooms.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This soup is packed with hearty ingredients and it all comes together in a creamy delicious soup. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to put together:
- Ground beef – Use 1/2 – 3/4 pound, depending on how meaty you want it to be. You could also use ground chicken.
- Cauliflower – cut into small bite-sized pieces. You want them to mimic potatoes.
- Beef broth – Use low-sodium beef broth or 3 cups of water and beef bouillion cubes.
- Shredded cheese – I use a mixture of white and yellow cheddar. Whatever you have on hand is fine.
- Cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Low-Carb Cheeseburger Soup
This soup can be made any way you like – on the stove top, in the Instant Pot, or in the slow cooker. Adjustments only need to be made to how much time you cook it for, depending which method you choose.
This soup can all be made in one pot. Use a 3-quart stock pot. Start by browning the ground beef and two of the strips of bacon, chopped into small pieces, and the chopped onion. The more browned, the better, because all those crisp brown edges lead to increased flavor.
You can cook the last strip of bacon and crumble it for garnish. This also adds some nice crunch to the soup.
Next add the cauliflower to the pot. Stir a few times so the beef doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Then you can add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
Now add the beef broth, salt and pepper to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook for around 10 minutes to build flavor.
Turn the heat to low. The liquid cannot be boiling at this point, or the cream and cheese will curdle. Add the heavy cream, cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is all melted.
If you’d like to thicken the soup, add the xanthan gum and stir well to incorporate. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
Serve the soup with the bacon crumbles on top. You can also add extra shredded cheese, some green onions and chopped pickles, if you want it to taste even more like a burger.
Is This Soup Keto-Friendly?
Yes, absolutely keto friendly. Each serving of this soup contains just 4 net grams of carbs, yet it’s very hearty and filling which makes it perfect for a keto diet.
Can Leftovers Be Frozen?
Absolutely, you can freeze this soup. When you heat it back up, you want to do it gradually and while stirring, so the cream doesn’t break. Again, don’t bring it to a boil when reheating.
Is This Soup Thick or Thin?
You can make this soup as thick or thin as you like it, by using xanthan gum, which is a low-carb alternative to corn flour, which is also used to thicken soups. Add it in small amounts and stir in between to test how thick it becomes before adding more.
Can Keto Cheeseburger Soup Be Made in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can absolutely make this soup in the Instant Pot. To do so, just brown the beef, bacon, and onions on sauté mode. Then add the garlic, cauliflower, broth, salt and pepper. Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Allow for a 10 minute pressure release, then release the remaining pressure. Add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir well.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Other recipes to try
- Super Easy Low Carb Pizza Sauce and Keto Crust
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- Loaded Cauliflower Baked Casserole
Like this post? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 3 strips bacon 2 go in the soup, 1 is cooked separately for garnish
- 1 cup cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum optional thickener
- Additional cheese and pickles for garnish
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef, two strips of bacon, and onion. When mostly done, add the cauliflower. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot, along with the salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Do not allow the liquid to boil. Add the shredded cheese. Stir until fully melted. Add the xanthan gum, if using. Stir until incorporated. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top. Add extra shredded cheese and chopped pickle on top, if desired.
- This soup contains 4 net grams of carbs per serving.
- You can add xanthan gum to thicken the soup, if you want, but it is optional.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later
Laura is an avid home cook and recipe creator. She shares her favorite low-carb recipes here that are both easy to make and full of flavor, so you don’t even miss the carbs.